Following successful negotiations, the government and the proscribed Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP) have finally reached an agreement, it emerged Sunday.

Sources privy to the development said that the activists of the banned organization will first end their sit-in from the Grand Trunk Road (GT Road) under the accord. Meanwhile, the government will complete the legal formalities to release the arrested workers of TLP.

The well-placed sources said that the successful round of talks was held last night between the high-powered government team and the top leadership of the TLP.

The government’s delegation comprised Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi, National Assembly Speaker Asad Qaiser and Federal Minister Ali Muhammad Khan, while TLP’s chief Saad Hussain Rizvi was leading his side during the negotiation.

The government delegation will hold a press conference to brief the public over the agreement between the two parties shortly.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Minister of Religious Affairs and Interfaith Harmony Pir Noor-ul-Haq Qadri said Saturday a 12-member committee has been formed to play the negotiator’s role between the government and the proscribed Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP).

Speaking to the media after attending a meeting of the state officials and religious scholars belonging to the Barelvi school of thought — with Prime Minister Imran Khan in the chair — Qadri said that the committee is in talks with the government as well as the leaders of the proscribed organisation.

The federal minister said religious leaders from across the country met the prime minister and expressed the resolve to wrap up the matter peacefully.

Qadri said the premier told the meeting’s participants that the incumbent government has always welcomed meaningful and serious talks.

The prime minister also told the ulema that their suggestions, which might save the country from bloodshed, will also be considered, the federal minister said.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

President Dr Arif Alvi Friday sought Ulema’s help in diffusing the ongoing tense situation in the country due to the protests by proscribed Tehreek-i-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP) that has disrupted life in several Punjab cities.

The president made these remarks in a consultative meeting with a delegation of Ulema of Ahle-e-Sunnat Wal Jamaat from different districts across the country led by Federal Minister for Religious Affairs Noor-ul Haq-Qadri, here at the Aiwan-e-Sadr.

The consultative meeting at the President House had taken place after a National Security Committee huddle in Islamabad unanimously resolved to guard the sovereignty of the state from all internal and external threats and to not allow the proscribed outfit to challenge its writ in any way.

Speaking to the religious leaders, President Alvi said Ulema have always played a significant role in providing moral and religious guidance to people besides standing with the state in difficult times.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Prime Minister Imran Khan has said that the government will not allow anyone to take the law into their hands as he issued directives to stop the long march planned by the proscribed Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP).

Per sources, the decision was taken during a meeting of the Federal Cabinet. PM Imran Khan has said that the government “will not allow violence for political purposes.”

During the meeting, the premier was briefed on the proscribed outfit’s protest march, sources said, adding that the government has decided not to allow protesters to march beyond Jhelum.

It should be noted that earlier in the day, several police officers were injured in a clash with the workers of the proscribed party in Sadhoke.

Sources further added that the government has been adamant to not allow the long march “under any circumstances,” and that “no talks will be held with the proscribed organisation.”

“The government and the state are on one page regarding the protests,” the premier said during the meeting, per sources, adding that the protesters will be “dealt with severely if they try to enter Islamabad.”

‘This show should end now’: Fawad Chaudhry
Shedding light on the matter, Federal Minister for Information and Broadcasting Fawad Chaudhry said that the problems with the proscribed outfit should not be aggravated, adding that “this show should end now.”

Speaking to the media in Islamabad before the cabinet meeting, Chaudhry had said that the long march going on GT Road should “end immediately.”

“The issue of the banned TLP would be discussed in detail during the cabinet meeting and the show should end,” he had added.

Govt orders crackdown on social media accounts of the proscribed outfit
According to sources, Minister for Interior Sheikh Rasheed Ahmad has directed the authorities concerned to launch a crackdown on the social media accounts of the proscribed outfit.

The Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) sources said that they have received the instructions, adding that they would initiate action against the social media accounts of the prescribed organisation starting today.

‘If Imran Khan’s sit-in was legitimate, why is TLP’s long march being stopped?’ Fazl
On the other hand, PDM chief Maulana Fazlur Rehman said: “If Imran Khan’s sit-in was legitimate when the PTI was in the Opposition, “then why isn’t TLP’s long march justified?”

He questioned that if protests against Nawaz Sharif was legitimate, then why is it illegal against Imran Khan.

“They are stopping the protestors from entering Islamabad; we demand that the general elections should be held.”

Fazl went on to say that “it is the legal right of the TLP to register their protest, therefore, the matters should be resolved through legal means.”

Pakistan Railways announce alternate routes
Meanwhile, in light of the development, Pakistan Railways announced that the trains heading and departing from Rawalpindi and Lahore were directed to use alternate routes.

The railways’ spokesperson said the trains were being rerouted via Lahore, Sheikhupura, Sargodha, Jhand.

The spokesperson said the operations of Subak Khram, Islamabad Express, Rawal Express were suspended, while the Orange Line’s route from Rawalpindi to Lahore was also suspended.

However, the rest of the trains would operate in line with their schedule.

Similarly, due to the ongoing six-day long protest, traffic has been suspended on GT Road, causing frustration to the commuters, as they are facing troubles.

Govt denies shutting down French embassy

A day ago, Rasheed had said that the government is in agreement with all of the demands put forth by the banned party except for the one seeking to shut down the French embassy.

“We have various constraints regarding the matter of French ambassador,” Rasheed had said while briefing the media about the progress of the dialogue with the banned outfit.

The minister had said that “there is huge pressure on Pakistan” regarding the banned outfit’s demand related to the French embassy.

“Pakistan may face various issues if we send the French ambassador packing,” he had said.

Rasheed had expressed the hope that the banned outfit would call off its sit-in protest as the government had accepted its major demands.

“We want them to review their demand related to the French embassy,” the interior minister had said.

He further told the media that a report on the dialogue with the banned outfit’s leadership had been submitted to the prime minister which was also discussed in a meeting held today in the presence of civil and military leadership besides chief secretaries and inspector generals of police.

“We want peace in the country. It is our endeavour to settle all the matters with TLP as early as possible through dialogue.”

Rasheed had said despite the martyrdom of two policemen and 70 other injured, including two in critical condition, the government still wanted to resolve the issue with mutual understanding and cooperation.

SHARE

LEAVE A REPLY