Blast kills 22, including children, at Ariana Grande concert in Manchester
AFP | AP | REUTERSUPDATED 24 MINUTES AGO
At least 22 people, including children, were killed and more than 50 wounded in an explosion at the end of a concert by US singer Ariana Grande in the English city of Manchester on Monday, in what two US officials said was a suspected suicide bombing.
Prime Minister Theresa May said the incident was being treated as a terrorist attack. If confirmed, it would be the deadliest militant assault in Britain since four bombers killed 52 people in suicide bombings on London’s transport system in July 2005.
Police responded to reports of an explosion shortly after 10:35 pm (2135 GMT) at the arena, which has the capacity to hold 21,000 people, where the US singer had been performing to an audience that included many children
The man behind the attack in Manchester died when he detonated his device, police said on Tuesday.
Greater Manchester Police chief Ian Hopkins said the man had set off an “improvised explosive device” as the audience was leaving the concert.
“We believe, at this stage, the attack last night was conducted by one man,” Hopkins said.
“The priority is to establish whether he was acting alone or as part of a network.”
“The attacker, I can confirm, died at the arena. We believe the attacker was carrying an improvised explosive device which he detonated causing this atrocity,” he added.
Hopkins said police are treating the blast as an act of terrorism “until we know otherwise.”
He added that investigators were “working closely with the national counter-terrorism policing network and UK intelligence partners”.