Sultan Qaboos, the longest-reigning leader of the modern Arab world, has died at the age of 79, the royal court said on Saturday.
“With great sorrow and deep sadness […] the royal court mourns His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said, who passed away on Friday,” the court said in a statement, as discussions on a successor commenced.
Qaboos, who has ruled since 1970 when he deposed his father in a palace coup, had been ill for some time and had been believed to be suffering from colon cancer.
He left no apparent heir. He was unmarried and had no children or brothers.
It is not clear who will succeed Qaboos, whose country has a distinct method of choosing the next ruler.
Prime Minister Imran Khan, in a tweet, offered his condolences on the death of Qaboos and termed the ruler as a “visionary” who “transformed Oman into a vibrant, modern state”.
“Oman has lost a beloved leader and Pakistan a close, trusted friend. May his soul rest in eternal peace,” the premier said.
Successor
According to the Omani constitution, the royal family shall, within three days of the throne falling vacant, determine the successor.
If the family does not agree on a name, the person chosen by Qaboos in a letter addressed to the royal family will be the successor.
The sultan should be a member of the royal family, as well as “Muslim, mature, rational and the legitimate son of Omani Muslim parents”.
Local experts say that more than 80 men meet the criteria, but one name stands out: Asad bin Tariq.
Tariq, 65, had been appointed deputy prime minister for international relations and cooperation affairs in 2017. The move was seen as a clear message of support to the sultan’s cousin and “special representative” since 2002.
Other potential successors include two other cousins of the sultan — Haitham bin Tariq, 65, the heritage and culture minister, and Shihab bin Tariq, 63, who was a close adviser to the sultan.













